The tensile strength of concrete is secondary mechanical property after compressive strength. Split tensile strength test is a procedure to find the tensile strength value of concrete.
As we all know that concrete is poor in tension and is not expected to resist substantial tension force. The concrete develops cracks when subjected to tensile forces. Thus, it is of importance to determine the tensile strength of concrete to determine the load at which the concrete crack.
Cylinder molds, cone mixer, concrete making materials, vibrating table, bearing strips, compression testing machine, weighing machine, trays.
- Prepare 5 specimens of the standard concrete cylinder 6″ dia and 12″ length.
- Cast the cylinder by prepared mixed in three layers with the help of vibrating table.
- De-mold the specimens after 24 – hrs and keep them in curing tank for curing.
- After 28 days curing, take out all the specimens from the tank.
- Place concrete cylinders between two plywood bearing strip of 1/8″ width and 13″ length on the plate of machine along generetrix.
- Apply the load without shock at a constant rate and with the range of 11300 to 22600 lbs per minute till failure of specimen.
- Note the load at failure.
DETAILS OF READINGS AND OBSERVATION/DATA TO BE RECORDED
Following readings should be recorded during experiment and given table should be filled
- Specimen identification number =
- Dimension of specimen=
- Date of casting =
- Area of cylinder=
- Age of testing=
- If the load is applied along the generatrix, then an element on vertical diameter of the
cylinder is subjected to vertical compressive stress of 2P/LD * D2 /r (D-r)-l. and the
horizontal tensile stress of 2P/nLD where P Compressive load, L = Length of cylinder, D= Diameter of cylinder
|S/No||W/C RATIO||AGE OF CYLINDER
|LOAD AT FAILURE
|SPLIT TENSILE STRENGTH
INTERPRETATION/COLLECTION OF READINGS, GRAPH ETC LENDING TO THE RESULTS
To be done with the standard specification of ASTM C 496-96
- All molds should be oiled before filling,
- All should be cast in three proper layers and vibrated.
- Bearing strips should not be reused.
- Load must be applied gradually, without shock at a specified rate.